Monday 19 August 2013

Musing Mondays #3


Hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits.

• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).

• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!

• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.

• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!

• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

My musing this week is ... a ramble!


Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes - these classic detectives are a staple of any mystery fan's library including my own. 

They are not, however, the sleuths that populated my childhood shelf. No, that honor goes to Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden and the foursome from Enid Blyton's Adventure series. 

I have many fond memories of lying on my bed engrossed in the details of The Secret of the Old Clock or The Mystery of the Missing Heiress or The Circus of Adventure. These are the stories that hooked me on the genre and while I have grown as a reader and my tastes have changed, I will never forget the enjoyment of following the clues along with my favorite childhood detectives. 

No matter how old I get and how my reading preferences change, these golden oldies will always hold a special place in my heart. 

5 comments:

  1. I also read the Enid Blyton's books and I loved the adventures.

    Here's my Musing if you'd like to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, I skipped right over Nancy Drew and started with Agatha and Sherlock when I was very young. I guess my mom did not see an issue with a wee kid reading about murder and mayhem.
    I turned out just fine, thank you...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Agatha Christie :) When I was younger, I read a lot of Box Car Children but I never really got into Nancy Drew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Nancy Drew as a child as well. Then when I got a bit older I got hooked on The Cat Who...series from Lilian Jackson Bruan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Nancy Drew!

    Mine: http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/does-flying-cars-make-a-book-science-fiction/

    ReplyDelete