Wednesday 4 May 2011

Extreme Exposure by Pamela Clare

Extreme Exposure
Title: Extreme Exposure
Author: Pamela Clare
Series: I-Team
Next in series: Hard Evidence

My rating: 3 Stars

Synopsis: Kara McMillan is an investigative journalist juggling her career with being a single mother and beginning a spicy relationship with sexy State Senator, Reece Sheridan. Kara soon finds herself embroiled in the story of the century when a whistle blower comes to her with evidence of environmental pollution, corrupt politicians, murder and conspiracy. Soon, the death threats begin and Kara must learn quickly who she can trust before she ends up dead.

Review: A good plot premise that is quite different from the usual romantic suspense fare and made me think of the movie Erin Brockovich. However, the tense situations seem contrived and I rarely found myself holding my breath in anticipation (one particularly intense scene does come to mind). The red herrings are also way too obvious, which makes it very easy to follow the clues to the identity of the secret conspirator.

The characters are intelligent and well developed – I especially enjoyed their witty dialogue. Nevertheless, I found the hero to be too perfect and the recurring descriptions of his sexiness, emotions, inner thoughts and culinary abilities become tedious. Moreover, his absolute perfection overshadows his connection to the heroine, and their relationship, although sweet and romantic, lacks that extra emotional pull that would make it completely captivating. The heroine is spunky, opinionated and easy to like but she does certain things that are inconsistent with her characterization.

Overall, this is a well-written and worthwhile read but it did not leave me with that satisfied feeling. I have heard good things about the next book in the series so have decided to give it another chance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment