Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Promises Linger by Sarah McCarty

Promises - Promises LingerTitle: Promises Linger
Author: Sarah McCarty
Series: Promises (book #1)
Previous in series: Promises Keep

My rating: 4 Stars

Synopsis: Elizabeth Coyote will lose her ranch and everything she has worked for unless she marries. Asa MacIntyre wants nothing more than land of his own and a lady for his wife. Are they a perfect match or a disaster waiting to happen?

Review: Steamy historical romance (erotica) with an amazingly sexy and stunningly sweet hero and a feisty heroine. The sex scenes are explicit but contribute to the construction of the relationship between the characters and to the overall storyline.

Elizabeth and Asa have fantastic chemistry. Asa is charming, loveable and has the patience of a saint. Elizabeth is more of an amalgamation of opposites. She initially comes across as strong willed and spirited but has moments in which she is completely naïve and innocent, and this is annoying at times.

The plot is engaging with 75% revolving around Elizabeth coming to terms with her trust issues and learning to love Asa, and the other 25% focusing on the question of who is sabotaging Elizabeth’s ranch. The suspense aspect of the story is a little lacking and the identity of the villain is obvious.   

The story is well written with some very entertaining and amusing moments but the dialogue could have been better. The conversations are often stilted and consist of monosyllabic responses, and some readers may find the vocabulary vulgar and offensive (keep in mind that this is an erotica book after all). Moreover, there is a mix of period accurate and modern language that can be confusing. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the story and the interaction between the characters and look forward to reading the next one.


Post a Comment